Sunday, May 12, 2013

Giro de Manhattan

Today I decided to make it a point to ride around Manhattan. It's easy to get from the hotel to the Brooklyn Bridge and over into Manhattan and I had wanted to ride the Greenway last summer but never got to it. 
Going clockwise around the the city covers a majority of the greenway and the first stop was off the bridge and before Battery park where there were two tall ships.

Going around the tip of Battle Park I noticed that the bike path was not as clearly marked as I would have liked, there is work going on and they are marking out parts of it much better, I got through and onto the west side. As I passed Chelsea I could see the Greenway and it looked very pedestrian, and full so that looks like another Sunday afternoon project. Next to my left I could see West New York, NJ and the condo complex where I stayed last summer. I then came to the end of the West Side of the greenway, if I had gone straight over on Dyckman I could have gotten to the east side of the greenway but I wanted to cross over the river into the Bronx, at my turnaround point I got a little confused as about eight streets come together and when you're on 3 of them they all have signs "Bronx Zoo" so I was not sure what road I was supposed to take, I finally figured out one road that looked to head south, and chose that one. It lead me through a neighbourhood that I was quite happy that I did not get a flat in... as I'm not sure a tall skinny guy in lycra would be a normal sight. I then headed back over to Manhattan Island and through Harlem, making my way to the East side of Central Park past the Guggenheim. I decided to make a loop around the park as long as I was there. It was not fast at all between the kids, people on slower bikes, people out for walks, people out with their dogs, etc. Then on to Times Square and the over to the United Nations.Now somewhere after the United Nations I wanted to get back onto the East greenway but I failed to find the way that passed over/under the FDR. So I just headed down 2nd Ave. buzzing down to the Brooklyn Bridge and back home.
Once home I had a good shower and went out for Pizza on 5th and it was very good way to end the day.

No comments: