Sunday, August 2, 2009

Road Rash and a new Discovery

Well, our roads are just falling apart in Southern Ontario. I was going around a corner quickly which I've gone around a dozen times this summer... But there was a pot hole, and it popped my front wheel; and I got Road Rash. Nothing bad, fixed the flat and went home.

I went to my LBS to get a new tube and bar tape. Jeff "the mechanic" (he has no last name... LOL) told me about Tegaderm Hydrocolloid, I just got the Tegaderm film which is about a third of the price as the ones with Hydrocolloid. These are thin films which let the air and moister get out, keep out bacteria. I did get one with a pad for my shoulder which is still oozing. There is a pharmacy in town which sells fancy bandages by ones'. In Canada the one with Hydrocolliod in a 4" x 4 3/4" was about $7.00 (I did not see it at the store), the plain Jane was $1.60. My wounds are not that deep, I think the Hydrocolliod is for deeper, but not too deep. It was a bike shop guy who told me, and the pharmacist (I assume that's what he was) was not too knowledgeable on Road Rash and the Hydrocolloid pads. I Googled it and got a bit more info.

I now have a thin film on my butt and shoulder and they are flexible and are not curling on my undies or shirt. I'll keep you posted on how much quicker I heal (I have two scratches on my knee, one covered and one open).

No comments: