Monday, March 19, 2012

From Florida to Minnesota

Well, I thought that this would a big change in weather Florida in March and Minneapolis in March... Hmm... Well, NO when we arrived all I could think about was get to the house unpack get groceries and go for a ride...

Friday we had finished all our work and so we headed off to visit Naples on the other side of Florida. Down we drove "alligator alley" I was driving and so Jeff and Robert saw numerous Gators sunning and I did see two big ones out of the corner of my eye as most the drivers in Florida are twice my age and drive twice as fast as I do, I did not want to die.

Saturday in Florida was a good day, Robert and I got up early to ride with the Weston cycling group. Robert's about a month a head of me in training and he sat toward the front I sat in the middle of 75 to 80 riders and moved to the front 30% once I knew I would be o.k. then we got on a road and the pace went up a bit faster than 53-13 could sustain without peddling at 120 r.p.m. and I thought I'd be spit out again, but it slowed down "a bit" and I was good with that. On the home stretch there were a few guys who were beyond their limits and the guy right in front of me went flying out of his position and took out 10 guys.... lucky me I just went inside and was safe. Robert was safe two riders in front of him. This was the end of the speed for me as once the gap was there I had no hope of catching back on again.

Now as far as "team tactics" go if Robert and I were racing I have to say that the Paris 1880 kit is fantastic, it stands out and I knew where Robert was and when he a 4 others went off the front I would know to make sure that his break stayed. Good kit and I have enjoyed wearing all these years.

With all the work we had done and the great rides, we then spent the rest of the day "by the pool" at our "house" it was a good laid back day in the sun. We had a nice dinner of chicken, potatoes and peas (most on the BBQ), and off to bed for Jeff and I to get up VERY early in the a.m. for our flight. Early a.m. drop off the rental car, check in with 100's of cruse ship people and go through security (all of my favourite things about travel, Homeland Security, Yea).

We arrived in Minneapolis before noon, and got to our house and unloaded by noon... groceries bought, bike unpacked by  2:30... Hmm should I go for a ride in a bike friendly town? WHAT! you bet! I went out about 3... and came home at dusk, There are so many bike trails here! I spent three hours ON the bike... never mind a few minutes figuring out the one way cyclist around the lakes, the stop at the bike-shop on the bike trail to browse try and find a ride for the week and a double espresso... Greg they did not have apple strudel or I would have had one for you. I also spent several minutes talking to a young couple out on their matching Surley Cross checks. VERY cool, only in cool since (well, with ice still on the lake the breeze was cool too).






Monday, we showed up to work and turned out a great day.

No comments: