Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Power to the People or at least ME!

A friend of my wanted to know my power output, so he let me borrow his Power Tap.

To do this I figured I wanted to get a good hard work out. Days are longer so I took a good long warm up and rode out to my favorite hill ride. I did 3x z4 8' up and over hill repeats (this hill climb takes me about 4.5 to 5 minutes to get to the top then a false flat and then down on the "ridge" so it's a climb and a true interval effort. I finished up going home via "Old Ancaster Road" a nice winding hilly road.

Results my climb was at 425 for the 4.5 minutes except the little dip on the climb, so I should go easier at the beginning ride harder at the "dip" and then back at it, and I would climb the hill faster. Then on the last 3.5 of the interval I dropped to 300. My HR stayed at a constant upper end of z4 moving +- 2 beats. On Old Ancaster at the really good climb part I had 650 for 2 minutes, HR in z5 I just wanted to see how much power output I had on that route.

What do I think of power? at about $1200 its expensive training tool. Would I like to train with power? Yes, if the price comes down, I can get my hands on a wired used unit, or my business just takes off (see NEW website below) and I have disposable income. All that said and done, HR training using the tried and true build method with recovery periods has put me at the top of my game.

No comments: