Monday, December 8, 2008

Getting on the bike!

Well, I did my calculations and I wanted to start the 12 week training in December, which will get me through winter just fine. Last winter I did not go out much; 2 to 3 times as it was icy and cold. Icy is just too dangerous on black top, dirt roads and the trails were just horrible. I did get burned out on the trainer though. This year I've got a plan. One Graeme's Cyclo-SPIN, Wow, I've been doing Cyclo-CORE since 2004 Christmas and tried some spinning class, and DVD's to supplement Coach Al's off-season and they were lacking, loud or boring. Graeme's first class was great, I got it, and it made for a good "Saturday" ride. Second in the plan is my friend has a Virtual trainer and he and I get together on it and ride on the weekend too, so I think I won't get the "basement-burnout" I got last winter.

I'm no salesman (nor getting paid to write this), but if you look at the cost of a spin class or the Spin DVD's (enough to keep them fresh), the Club would pay for itself with 12 spin classes! The off season training system is flexible and with Coach Al's plan it has changed my cycling to the point that I do ride stronger faster and more sustainable. Well, worth it (I only wish I was able to get my DVD's on the "cheep" by joining the club 4 years ago!).

On to my Clavicle, it is healing well, I've been doing most exercises with out any pain or problem (Kate's push up in Cyclo-ZEN-Recovery Yoga is dropped till I'm healed). I found out this morning that the one exercise which took me two years to "master" hurts and I can't do it yet, and that is the Crow Pose. I mention that for a few reason, one it's part of my healing process. Second, we live in an instant gratification society and cycling has the aspects of providing some of that, but it's not a sport which you can master in weeks, months or a year. At least for "every-day cyclist" there are some gifted people out there. It took my body and mind two years to get strong enough and "balanced" enough to do the crow pose. It took me 10 years of racing cross to have a great cross season ('cept the broken collar bone). Keep working at whatever level you are and improve each week, month and year!

2 comments:

TiGirl said...

Hi Tex,

Great post...glad to hear that you are able to train as you heal. Hope the rest of it heals completely, and speedily!

I loved your comments about taking it slowly, it's a process that comes with time. I know I need some of that patience right now!

Keep up the good work. What kind of virtual trainer does your friend have?

aloha!

Unknown said...

My friend has the Tacx, and I think the model is the Fortius.