Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Why I Race


My purpose for racing: I’m a Christian I race as an analogy to my Christian walk.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 “Do you not know that in a race all the cyclist ride, but only one gets the prize? Ride in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a prize that will not last; but we do it to get a prize (crown) that will last forever. Therefore I do not ride like a man (or woman) riding “junk miles;” I do not ride like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my Slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”
(Tuttle Paraphrased Version)

Hebrews 12:1-3 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked before us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the Cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart”

Following this principal in my Christian life I take statements like this from my pastor when I was talking about the endurance of Christ and the similarities of cycling, my pastor sent me this statement:

“Luke 10:42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

In any moment of uncertainty or anxiety when one is unclear as to the best use of time in any given moment, you can never do better than to endure sitting at his feet. I say endure because it will require the discipline of listing all the distracting do-lists that pop into our head and fighting off the impulse to do them now. Sitting at his feet is always better.”

How do you apply such a statement? It is easiest for me to visualize the putting distractions out of my mind by thinking upon a ITT when you force all the crap out of your mind that tells you your body hurts, and focus upon giving 100% over that time span. If I can do this for a Tuesday night personal best or a 40 km TT which is temporal, how much more do I need to take that discipline into my Christian Life.

I race for a prize but I live my life for Christ for the greatest prize.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. I do appreciate you sharing your faith with us. We are all so strong on the inside. I know my strength is there because of love from God. Others find their strength in other ways. We are all blessed to be able to ride, race, and love others the way we do.

I'm going to take some of your post mentally with me throughout the day.

~Ride blessed.