Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Years!


Nothing like Traditions. Every year since I moved to Southern Ontario I have ridden outside on New Years Day. The first year was "interesting" first I did not have the clothing and I was wearing some of the right stuff and some stuff that was "too" warm you body has to breath. In 12 years I've learned what to and what not to wear, and how to layer. Last year was a nasty day and "we rode" was a Royal we and it was not an enjoyable ride at all.

This year it was sunny and -10°C (which is 14°F) with a light head wind coming home (read colder coming home) So with my feet having 4 layers plus a chemical foot warmer, my legs w/ 2 layers (my knees got a third layer) and I had "special" Sugoi winter briefs; and what turned out to be 6 layers on my body, we went out for our traditional ride. It was a fantastic day lots of chit-chat and two good little hills. OH, BTW I was on my Fixie (42-16) which I love for winter riding, easy to clean and no gears to get mucked up or freeze! On the hills with a fixed gear Cyclo-SPIN 3, 2 & 1 (Which is the order I did them in last week) could be felt, I focused upon what I was doing and other than two other guys w/ geared bikes I was the third to the top w/o heavy breathing and really good technique.

What a great way to start the year. Happy New Year to all and Happy Riding.

Edit Note: the pouch on the Paris 1880 rider (me) is the HEAVY vest under that wind jacket really. I've only put on 5 pounds this year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow - congrats on getting out!!! My favorite New Year's Day memory of all time was a self-supported century ride with a few friends. My husband and I had hoped to do 100K this year (not quite ready for the century yet), but wimped out due to cold and wind. We still managed to get outside though, XC skiing with the dog! Maybe next year we can plan early for 100M!Happy New Year!
Charlotte