Thursday, January 8, 2009

More on Food

Well, as I've been looking up the Thyroid and Soya I filter out the "extreme" sites. You know the ones that are fanatical about what they post, there needs to be room for moderation, and it is the internet I'm reading.

So Soya should not be taken 3 hours after tyroid, which is what my doctor said, but several go on that soya is not as good as claimed. The processed food into hot dogs etc. are bad. That does not surprise me, I see the Fat people going healthy and all they are doing is changing the form of the crap the shove into their mouths. "healthy chips, sodas, and soya dogs and lunch meat.

What did catch my eye was a couple sites went on to say the Tofu is ok, if you get the proper perpetration, change the water, etc. (Miso, Tempeh, and Soy Sauce are OK) AND the part I did not like: cabbage type foods are not good raw, that includes broccoli, and one site mentioned raw spinach. Well crap for the last 20 years my lunch is often a salad with RAW broccoli, red peppers and in the last few years spinach. Does that just not cook your juice. BUT Wait there's more! Peanuts! Oh I eat peanut butter like crazy, I love the stuff and I've loved it for years, yes I know it's a little fatty and it does not have all the omegas of what almond butter has but it's relative inexpensive and it tastes great. OH, this is going to be more of a fix the thyroid experiment than a Vegan experiment. I'm enjoying the book (thrive diet) and I'm going to take a lot away from it but I won't be a Vegan, give me time and I might be a vegetarian, cause I've been there and felt great.

This whole thyroid thing is off because of stress on my body which I know. Broken collar bone which I knew was the first time off, then the second thing is the kitchen company not paying me for a month and half of work, and then coming over Christmas. OH geeze if I can just get some control so that I can have a bit more energy.

Finally one Rant. Chapter 3, in Brendon's book goes on about the environment... this diet is not going to change the world, and I really would prefer if I'm reading about a diet I just get about the diet. Its like the Green builders, I KNOW that a large bunch in the construction industry is NOT GREEN despite their "marketing." I try to be green by paying for a separate metal bin or keeping it sorted an tossing the metal in my truck to get recycled (which by the way with the recession there's not money in this). I try to use products that are better, or less "old growth" I'm working with my drawer box guy to find a source for 5/8" bamboo so that my drawer boxes are a renewable resource. If we can do this even if costs more, I still offer at a competitive price. I will still have to have my products finished with lacquer till laws change drastically, I still will have to throw out old plaster, drywall and studs I can not reuse (I pull out the nails and re shoot with my big air gun, which I bought just to do this as nail and hammer will split old lumber). SO selling books which use paper, and ink, and if I eat Hemp products from Manitoba there still is pollution. The way he comes across is that it solves all the problems. Plus if he thinks that he can have all North America give up meat (that would make as big as mess as the Auto industry). It just is neieve and does not belong in a diet/fitness book. Well, there's my rant on being green, it's not easy being green and we do have to do our best or there won't be any thing left.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you tried to connect with a nutritionist who has experience with thyroid problems? Your doctor might be able to help you find someone, or you might be able to find one online.
As for the diet, of course it's not going to work for everybody (especially with bananas so prevalent in Brendan's recipes - those bananas have to be shipped quite a distance, certainly not as green as taking advantage of the local produce). Keep experimenting and you'll find what's best for you! In the meantime, keep posting on your progress!
Charlotte