Saturday, January 31, 2009

Crashing the Girls Party

Well, I made a live spin class this morning Spin Class #6. The first part of the introduction was aimed to the Women's cycling expo, and I was concerned that I might get kicked out...

But I'm used to working out with women. When I was racing the owner of the gym paired me up with the girls as back in the early '80's not may guys were racing bikes. As I've learned more about off season training I've become very impressed with the program he put me on. It could have been taken right out of Joe Friel's book. Over the years I've been through quite a few gym's since; the last one did not impress me at all. Either I had to try to find a free weight that did not have 800 lbs on it with a gurilla in the middle of his sets... lift three times rest 20 minutes... As if anyone else would ever get to use the press bench. OR behind a New Years Resolution "fatty" playing on the wieght machine and having NO clue. And the Smell! I had done some Yoga & Yolatie classes, along with 20 women (again I ended up working out with the women). Then in 2004 along came this Off Season Core workout guy who had a set of DVD's with a minimum of equpment set up, figured I could not go wrong. Bought the DVD's dropped the $40.00/mo. "health club" and have just gotten stronger and stronger over the last 5 off seasons. BTW if you did not figure out the "guy" was Graeme Street.

I told you all that to say, that I would have fought to stay in the class if it was a girls only as I've spent the last 25 years working out with the women. It was sunny this morning but by the time the class was over it was blowing snow and -9°C with a realfeel around -15°C. After I had my hemp protein shake, folded the laundry, got groceries; I took the dogs out for an hour. The drifts were high enough to be up to my knees and the dogs heads and tails popped up just above the snow. They had a blast and their workout wore them out afterward, which is a VERY good thing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post- I really would like to hear how more people were lucky enough to find this whole Cyclo-core thing. My boyfriend let me borrow a video and the next day I was on the site, having more sent to me.

TiGirl said...

Hey Tex...you can crash the girls' parties any day!! We'll make you an honorary girl if you promise not to smell (or act) like an 800 lb gorilla! HA!

Seriously, I looked at your pics below...you do beautiful work! Wow! is all I can come up with.

Aloha,
kate