Friday, November 21, 2008

Coach Al’s Year End Evaluation 2008 Season

1. What do you consider your greatest success/highlight this season? Why?

Getting 3rd in the “We need more cowbells cross race,” it proved to me I’ve learned how to race cross and that I was in good shape. It made me keep track of my potion and laps in the next races.

2. What do you consider your greatest disappointment? Why? What things (e.g. skills/technique/strength/endurance in any area) do you think you should change/improve upon in preparation for next season and beyond? Be specific.

First would be breaking my clavicle; that just makes me mad. Second, would be my self doubt. Both could be improved by technique off road. Practice corners and off camber, riding in ridges on descents. Take up J’s offer to ride through the woods with him on a cross bike.

3. How could you have better prepared mentally?

Believe my friends, they are not wimps that I’m thrashing in sprints and on hills… it took them two weeks to convince me to race M2, one still thinks I should have raced M1

4. How could you have better prepared with regard to race nutrition? Day in/day out eating habits/nutrition?

Less Beer, I know but I do construction and nothing tastes better than cold beer after a hard day at work.

5. How would you have changed race tactics and strategy to improve race performance?

For Cross: Work on Starts, I’m slow off the gun, Down hills and corners. This all means that I need to get off the road during the summer and ride on some dirt.

6. List at least (3) three specific goals you would like to accomplish for next year? Again, be specific.

1st: Break 22 minutes for the 15 km Tuesday night time trial.

2nd: Ride Hamilton’s two 40 km ITT (beginning and ending of season)

3rd: Kick some major but in next years M2 Cross season (maybe even get booted up to M1).

4th: Time and money permitting Upgrade to M2 in Road.

5th: Don’t break anything! 2007 I broke both bikes and this year my clavicle!

7. In your opinion, what do you consider to be your biggest weakness as an athlete?

I don’t realize how strong I am and my ability to push myself. So I need to work on my self-esteem.

8. What do you feel is the single most important thing you should do next season to increase your chances of going to “the next level”?

1st: get into this off-season, I’m not really into this year…

2nd: My purpose for racing: I’m a Christian I race as an analogy to my Christian walk (1 Corinthians 9:24-27; Hebrews 12:1). I race for a prize but I live my life for Christ for the greatest prize.

9. List the races you would like to train for. List them in the order of their priority (A, B, & C). Of course, this is only tentative and obviously can be changed if you desire.

  1. Paris to Ancaster http://www.parisancaster.com/P2A/HOME.html “A” Race (top 75, there are 1200 entrants. I have my friend Greg getting a cross bike to ride with me)
  2. Ontario Provincial Cross. “A” Race
  3. Kelso Halloween Cross Stage Race. “A” Race
  4. Hamilton CC race. “B” race
  5. Westover Road race (first road race of the season). “C” Race.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that picture you put up in your title! Where was that at? It looks like one of my favorite cross-country mtb courses in Ruston, LA. I hope your recovery is going well. I think I'll take Coach Al's questions from your post and make up a little evaluation for myself.

I see why cross is so addictive. I've spectated/helped at 5 races so far and cant wait to get a bike of my own. It is on my christmas lists for myself, fingers crossed!

Unknown said...

It is in St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada.